Six months ago I started a list of gifts for which I was thankful. I’ll admit I haven’t made any progress on the written list since then. Today when I thanked God no less than six times for Elmo’s World, I thought maybe I should add Momo to my gifts. This, of course, got me thinking about other things that made me thankful today, so here we are…
22. Elmo’s World. That fuzzy red guy walks a thin line between endearing and annoying, but today I’m thankful for him. He’s able to get both kids to sit still for 30-ish minutes at a time so I can maintain a sense of order and sanity (read: load the dishwasher and shower). Today he also convinced Chica she wants to play the violin.
23. 7:30 a.m. naps. Actually, it would be more correct to say that I’m thankful for Jay who makes 7:30 a.m. naps possible. Both kids were up by 5:30, and by up I mean begging to play playdough, Barbies, and ball…all at once. Since I had been the one enduring the early morning torture, he let me escape back to bed for an hour. So thankful.
24. Drizzly mornings. The last two days we have found fun things to do outside, even while it’s raining. I would dare to say the park might be more fun in the rain…cooler temperatures and way less people make for a great visit.
25. New friends. Just this week I e-mailed an old friend (who unfortunately lives 1,700 miles away) about how hard it is to make new friends. Today at playgroup there were these glorious few minutes of time where the chaos was at a minimum and we made a tiny real connection as we talked about our families.
26. We haven’t sold our house. Yep…I’m choosing to see this as a gift. It means as we begin to look, there’s no real time crunch. Today we looked at two houses. Both had things we really liked, but something pretty big we would want to change. I’m telling myself it’s a gift that we don’t have to hurry and pick one.
27. Colossians 3. I’m still working on the verse about forgiveness, but I had lots of good chances to practice that one today. A little experiential learning, maybe?
28. A favorite college professor. I’m so thankful I’ve kept in touch with her and for the ways she keeps encouraging me all these years later. I want to be like her when I grow up.
29. 1:00 p.m. naps. I believe one can never nap too much during the summer, don’t you?
30. Babies that finally fall asleep on their own. It’s been a long time coming. If you’re that mom who feels like it may never happen, I promise…one day it will.
31. Bubba’s sense of humor. He is clearly an entertainer. Every night as he waits for his dessert of “i-keen” after dinner, he gets busy making us laugh with his funny faces and new words. This has recently become my second favorite part of the day (after nap time, of course).
32. Elephant and Piggie books. Read them. Seriously.
33. The public library. Today we didn’t take Bubba….just me and Chica. SO the way to go.
34. Old friends. The ones that rescue you when you can’t take even five more minutes in your crazy house. The ones that go with you when you have to do something scary. The ones that make work feel more like a slumber party than real work.
What are you counting as a gift today?