So I’ve sat here for entirely too long trying to make this post about one thing. Here’s what it’s about so I can just get on with it:
We have two more weeks of school, the last two weeks have been crazy, and it’s time to just jot down the stuff worth remembering.
That’s enough of a “one thing”, right? Ok, good.
- Yesterday I called Jay at work to tell him that he must dress his son before leaving for school or else I might break Bubba’s arm. I wasn’t even kidding. The ten minute wrestling/screaming match on the bedroom floor in order to put on a clean outfit just wasn’t the best way I could think to start my day. Or his. Today Daddy dressed Bubba, Chica put on his shoes, and we got to school early. Thankful.
- We finished By the Shores of Silver Lake last night. I thought for sure they weren’t going to ever get the homestead for the winter storms and the unwanted overnight guests, but they finally made it, just in time for the more storms, it appears. There’s just something not quite right about starting a book called The Long Winter when it’s finally getting hot outside.
- Cicadas are my most recent fascination. I watched one for maybe 20 minutes the other night as it emerged from its exoskeleton. Earlier this week we pointed out the shells to Chica, and she (no surprise) proceeded to make up a Cicada Hunt song. “We’re going on a cicada hunt. Might be dead ones, might be live ones, might be real ones, might be shell ones. We’re doing on a cicada h-u-u-u-nt!”
- I admit my other recent fascination is The Voice. Ridiculous, I know. But because I can only watch about 10 minutes max before falling asleep each night, I’ll probably still be watching it in August. Don’t tell me who wins, mkay?
- One night Chica comes in her room and says in a worried tone, “Mom! There’s something on the potty, and it won’t go away. It won’t go away when I flush it!” “Yes, Chica, that’s what happens when your mommy goes on a housework strike for one too many weeks in a row. That’s why most mommies clean the potty every week. I’ll get to it soon, I promise.”
- On Saturday Bubba fed a giraffe from his hand and Jay fist bumped a turkey. The Metro Richmond Zoo is a neat place.
- Last week I did something pretty cool, and then I waited by the e-mail for the praise to roll in. And it didn’t. I know I have something to learn in this, but I think I forgot it when I finally got an e-mail about the something cool today.
- Now that tests are over, there’s such a sense of freedom in my little brain as I teach. Today we followed the rabbit trails for ever so long through decimal division and decimal multiplication and if numbers get bigger or smaller (or both) when you multiply. Then how multiplication and division are related and two ways to think about division. And finally we made our way back around to pictures and stories to go with the decimal division problem we had in the first place. And there were lots of Oooooooohhhhh’s and I-get-it’s. Math is so cool. My kids are pretty darn cool too.
- Speaking of rabbit trails, while reading The Watsons Go to Birmingham and the part about a raccoon drowning a dog, I had to tell my raccoon story. I just will never forget the image of Jay jumping out of his truck and chasing a raccoon down with a pocket knife in order to rescue his desperate wife. That’s definitely one of my favorite CrossRoads memories ever.
Ok. That’s enough for now. Off to fall asleep to my 10 minutes of The Voice and continue my strike a little longer. Summer, come soon.